Ps 1:3

"He is like a tree planted by streams of water,which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers."

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A time for this and a time for that; our earthly j-o-b's

Ecc 3:1-13 (NIV) "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time for... (11) He has made everything beautiful in its time: He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what god has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink , and find satisfaction in all this toil-- this is the gift of God."
Ecc 3:11 (AMP) "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He also has planted eternity in men's hearts and minds (a divinely implanted sense of a purpose working through the ages which nothing under the sun but God alone can satisfy), yet so that men cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end."
This chapter makes the mutability of human affairs very clear. It is more positive than negative (a time to die; a time to kill; a time to weep...). ULTIMATELY "He has made e v e r y t h i n g beautiful in its time." When I am in a rut or going through a darker phase, I look forward to the light at the end of the tunnel. I try to hold on to the fact that I am like a tree which yields its fruit in season (Ps 1:3). Some fruits being patience in the time of suffering, faith in the day of trial, and holy joy in the hour of prosperity.
v13 says that satisfaction in all his toil is the gift of God. Everyone wants their work to count and not be in vain. I enjoy my job because I have a passion for fitness and for the health and well-being of people. I praise God that I can find satisfaction in my job; thank God I can see my job as more than work. Also, in regards to our work here on earth, we must see it from God's perspective. What we do "under the sun" is for the Lord above... we must do our job here on earth "as it is in heaven." Our boss is not the manager or our supervisors, but instead, we must perform our jobs with excellence for the Lord. Once we develop that mentality we will find it much easier to deal with our work and daily tasks. We can be positive and encouraged to do work because we are concerned about eternity-- it is set in our hearts (v11).

No comments:

Post a Comment