Ps 1:3

"He is like a tree planted by streams of water,which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers."

Monday, April 12, 2010

Daily word/meditation & the company you keep

Psalm 1:2,3 (NIV) "...his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers."
Psalm 1:2 (AMP) "...But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night."
Joshua 1:8 (AMP) "This Book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success."
Just recently have I rededicated myself to reading the Word daily and consistently. Before, I thought that reading once in a while was good enough, but as the Word says in scripture, there is success and major benefits in acknowledging, reading, and studying the word on a daily basis-- day and night, clearly not just once in a while. I want to be that tree who is happily rooted to the source. God makes it clear how to achieve prosperity and success. It is up to us, as believers, to observe his Word and obey them. In the verse from Joshua the words "For then..." makes it evident that it is a guarantee that our way would be made prosperous IF and ONLY you meditate/read His word day and night AND you heed to his commands and law. We can't expect to disregard even the simplest task of reading daily and still expect all his bountiful blessings. He is waiting anxiously to give. I say it's a simple task but many people find the most basic things a challenge or try to complicate a simple command to validate its significance. I've always said that God is not asking us to do anything impossible or difficult-- if anything, He is trying to make things as simple as possible because He is such a good and loving God that wants to bestow His blessings to His children. For goodness sake all He asks is that we have faith and believe! So to receive His blessings He says that we read His words daily-- it makes a whole lot of sense. If we read them daily, we have a better chance of remembering to obey them in our daily lives. Being consistent in His words will only help us become consistent in our walk with the Lord. And personally, those words help keep the fire and fervor within me to seek God burning hotter and brighter.
Psalm 1: 1 (NIV) "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers."
Psalm 1:1 (AMP) "Blessed (happy, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly (following their advice, their plans and purposes), nor stands (submissive and inactive) in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down (to relax and rest) where the scornful (and the mockers) gather."
Lately God has been blessing with many good and even godly/Christian people. I've also have had no desire to drink or party with my old friends too. I've become very content staying in with my boyfriend or just hanging out, watching a movie or having a nice dinner with some friends. I'm becoming to learn the importance of the company you keep. I feel much more motivated to stay consistent with my walk with the Lord when I am surrounded by positive people and people who support and encourage my walk and decision live a sincere Christian lifestyle. Many believe that you can be a Christian without ever attending church as long as you read the Bible and pray/meditate on your own. To a certain extent I believe this. Technically the church is just a building. However, I've experience the power of being surrounded by believers and hearing the Word preached by an anointed man. My friend made a good point about attending church. He compared it to having an intimate relationship with a person. He was saying that you become more acquainted and learn about the other person through different experiences, like a road trip or date nights. Yes, you can experience the Lord in the privacy of your own home or alone, but you will experience Him in such a different way when you attend church and share the experience with your Christian brothers and sisters. I kind of went off on a tangent about the company you keep so let me jump back to that point! As I've matured, I see that I don't find it difficult to decline an invitation to party or hang out with negative people. Just because I choose to surround myself with those that are on my level or above, does not mean I refuse to associate myself with everybody else or think I'm too good to hang with everybody else. It just means I don't invest my time in hanging out with those people or choose to allow them to rub off on me. I'd rather stay true to myself and be simple and a homebody with a select few. Pro 27:17 says that "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." It's important for people to sharpen each other, not dull.
Prayer:
Thank you Lord for being such a good God; thank you for softening my heart and clearing my mind that I may absorb your holy Words. I pray that you would show me areas in my life that need correction. I thank you in advance for helping me stay consistent in your word so that I may grow from glory to glory. As you bless me show me how to bless others in whichever way I can. Thank you for blessing me with positive people and showing me how to be an example to those whose are may not know you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment